Monday, February 8, 2010

How do I control which device my computer get the internet from?

I have a wireless adapter connected to the INTERNET and a patch cable to a seperate router. I need to file share with the seperate routered PCs and get the internet connection at the same time. When I type in a website and click enter it sends pakets to the wired router instead of the wireless. What can I do?How do I control which device my computer get the internet from?
You need to change the default route for your wired Ethernet connection. There are many different ways to do this, here's one:





You are probably using DHCP to set the address of the wired connection where you get the IP address from the router. If you setup a static address for the Ethernet connection, just don't put a default gateway value in the field. You will still be able to talk to the other PCs using the same IP subnet addresses, but your unknown traffic (Internet traffic) will not go to the Ethernet connection anymore. If you need to address other devices on the Ethernet that are not in the same subnet, you will have to add routes for their subnets to your PC. You could also add the Ethernet default gateway using a higher metric on the Advanced tab of the Internet Protocol Properties page.





Ask again if you need additional instructions to do this.How do I control which device my computer get the internet from?
Remove the default gateway setting from the IP configuration from the wired interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment