Friday, February 12, 2010

How do I control my two dogs on a leash?

They pull me every which way, and walk under my feet. After a few minutes of walking, thier leashes are dangeroulsy twisted around my feet. . How do I control them?! They obviously control me!How do I control my two dogs on a leash?
Start by training one dog at a time. Each dog needs to be taught to walk on a leash. Once each dog is trained then walk them together. I have 3 dogs that I walk at the same time.How do I control my two dogs on a leash?
Ours walk with a coupler - it attaches to the leash, and then to both of their collars, so both of them are on essentially using one leash - no more tangles!





You can find one in just about any pet store, and they're fairly reasonable.





Good luck!
First obedience train them separately to heel and walk nicely on a leash.





Then get a handy little tool called a coupler that will allow you attach both collars to one leash so both dogs are walking off the same leash. It will take a time or two but they will learn to walk as a team.
You need to train them and practice good leash management.





I can walk 3 or 4 dogs at a time on leash, tricky but manageable.
gee....it's called ';training';





what a concept!





You train one dog at a time to walk, not pull on the leash.





There are also collar couplers.





And if you don't give them a lot of leash, it won't tangle around your legs.





think, girl
I've got a double-headed leash that works really well. You can restrict how much length either of them are given %26amp; that makes it worth it because they can't run around your legs that way!





I've actually sprained my ankle in the past by having my dogs wrap their leashes around my legs %26amp; pull me over (combined they're 80 lbs. pulling at me!) We take long 2 mile walks every day %26amp; its for exercise purposes, so I don't have time to stop %26amp; untangle them %26amp; the double-headed leash is perfect. I got mine from petsmart, but you could probably order it online from anywhere you like, or try a local pet store. I linked to a coupler from petsmart below, but it doesn't allow you to adjust the length each dog is given, so they can still run in different directions around you. The second link is from Drs. Foster %26amp; Smith %26amp; its the full lead, and its on sale!





This is all assuming that your dogs walk fine on leads separately, I know that both of mine do, but they're knuckleheads when I try to walk them together. Good luck!
You should sign up for classes and learn to control the dogs on a walk.. Classes don't teach your dog how to act, they teach YOU how to train your dog.. Take the classes and make your dog walks more enjoyable.
Get gentle leaders for them. It makes controling unruly dogs easy.





http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=29

No comments:

Post a Comment