Friday, February 12, 2010

How do I control my fear of performing in public?

Whenever I have a piano recital I always get so nervous I have trouble staying focused. I always come well rehearsed but my nerves cause me to make mistakes I don't normally make. Picturing the audience in their underwear does not work for me. Do you have any suggestions that have worked for you?How do I control my fear of performing in public?
I don't know if it helps, but you are not alone. Ever wonder why those big name bands are always 5 minutes late before going on stage? Trust me, even the biggest stars are not immune to this.





Look, it's your performance... nobody else has to get up there and do it. If you need an extra minute to catch your breath, take an extra minute.





One thing that helped me was when I realized I was a musician, not a performer. I do it because I love to play music. I couldn't care less if anybody wants to 'rate' my 'show'. I do it for me, not for them. Hopefully they'll enjoy it as much as I do.





Just remember to thank them when they applaud, people appreciate it when you acknowledge them back.





And most of all, don't get discouraged. It really does get easier over time. Be kind to yourself. It would be a shame to let this thing get the better of you and stop you from doing what you love.





P.S.-- Make sure you warm up for a little while before you start, play a few simple tunes just to get your fingers loose, maybe go over one of those difficult passages a couple times just to refresh your memory. You can do it, you do it every day when you practice. Just do the same thing. And don't forget to do a few jumping jacks or take a lap around the block to release some of the adrenaline.How do I control my fear of performing in public?
What works for me is being very sure of what I am doing.





Practice until you cannot make a mistake even if you try. Knowing that you are the very best at a thing makes doing that thing in front of others very simple. If you don't know that you can play a piece flawlessly without effort every time, then you haven't practiced enough.





Best Wishes


.
I have been battling this myself lately. So I can relate to you.





Practice some sort of meditation or deep breathing exercise. Sit alone in your room, close your eyes, and concentrate on the flow of air in and out of your lungs. Try to forget about everything else and concentrate on that. Practicing this will help you focus your attention for when you really need it on stage.





To do the deep breathin exercise, just take slow (5 second) breaths, and exhale slowly for 10 seconds. Repeat at least ten times. Doing this before you take the bench will relieve tension and bring your heart rate down.





Other than that, only experience will get you nerves of steel!





Good luck to you!
Perform in public events as much as possible in setting that are more comfortable for you. Start in a small class, then keep working yourway up to larger and larger crowd and events. Don't stop no matter how bad you feel because once you are in front of the audiance your fears begin to deminish.
dont mind the audience.. just always think that its only you and your piano who's in there.. and also think of all the compliments that you will receive after a good performance.. good luck..
Have a large drink before you perform.
Performance anxiety, what an issue, any musician that is coherent when they perform deals with it. I personally wear shades.(The eyes are the window of the soul!) I don't like anyone looking in! Also, I try to feel I'm playing for the Heavens, they enjoy and understand the effort and are forgiving! I also have this attitude- By golly if you think you can do it better, get up here and have at it, I might learn something new!
  • hair cut styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment