Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do i control my breathing while singing?

Does anyone know any good breathing tips for singing? Lately i haven't been able to breath good while singing. I just need some help i love to sing but lately it hasn't been comfortable.How do i control my breathing while singing?
Breathing while singing is difficult, and has to be timed to the song. If it's a song you've written you can consider altering the lyrics or changing the way you pronounce some words to give you more time to take a breath. If it's a cover song, you can listen to how the original singer performed it and see where he or she allowed a break to breath in.





However, perhaps the best piece of advice I can give (or at least what has worked for me) is instead of working on breathing in as much air as you can, instead work on controlling how much air you release while singing and holding notes. If your throat is nice and relaxed and the breath support is coming from your diaphragm, you should be able to sing clearly and loudly while utilizing a minimal amount of air. This also helps because oftentimes a song won't leave you enough space to take a full breath, but if you are releasing smaller amounts of air you can get by on 50%-75% of a breath, which takes less time to draw in.How do i control my breathing while singing?
lay down, flat on your back. Breathe deep.





When you inhale, your stomach should press out naturally. When you inhale, it should depress. Go watch a dog, cat, or baby breathe while they sleep.





Now stay on the floor and sing.





When you get back up, keep breathing like that. Focus on breathing like that until it becomes second nature.






I get singing lessons and my singing teacher told me when you sing take very deep breaths so the breath is in all of your lungs not just in the top of your lungs also make sure your shoulders don't move when taking the deep breath.





I don't really know if you'll understand that LOL it's hard to explain.
My choir director always tells us that when we breathe to make sure that our stomach blows up and our shoulders don't go up. Because if when you breathe in your shoulders go up then you're just pushing all the air out. Also good posture and standing squarely on your feet helps. I never really had breathing problems so I just got this from what she tells other people.
Make a fist and put it on your stomach. When you inhale, push your fist out, and when you exhale, push your fist in. It helps. Also make sure your shoulders stay down and relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment