Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What are birth control options for someone with high blood pressure?

So, I just went in to get birth control and I was told that my blood pressure is a little higher than they would like. I'm going back in next week to get it re-checked, hoping things will have calmed down in my life.


What are options for birth control (besides condoms) if someone has high blood pressure? Are there just different types of pills, or IUD, or patch, or what? I forgot to ask when I was at the office. Any help would be great.What are birth control options for someone with high blood pressure?
Hypertension does not always prevent the use of the pill or patch....uncontrolled hypertension is the real problem. If you are hypertensive, once the doctor gets it under control, then birth control pills or the patch may become an option.





In the meantime, other forms of birth control that the doctor may suggest are:


cervical cap


diaphragm


IUD


female condom


contraceptive sponge


spermacides





When uncontrolled hypertension is involved, all products that contain hormones are not recommended. Those products include:


the pill


nuvaring


patch


depo-provera


mini-pill





Good luck! Hope your blood pressure was just up due to nervousness or rushing around that day. I hope it all works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment