Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How can I control grass invasion in a perrenial garden?

I have lawn grass creeping into my perrenial garden. What is the best way to get rid of what's there and keep new grass out?How can I control grass invasion in a perrenial garden?
My husband put rail ties in to separate the grass and garden. It does help but isn't fool proof. I go through the garden beds once a week and pull out any weeds and baby grass popping up. I try to get as much of the root as possible.How can I control grass invasion in a perrenial garden?
I use a scuffle hoe to remove any weeds or grass that might creep into my beds. Edging the flowerbed is the most effective way to keep the grass where it belongs. Edging material is up to you. I've used rocks that I unearth while digging the flowerbed, bricks, the black plastic garden edging. I even saw photos where a woman went to a thrift store and bought dinner plates. She sunk them halfway in the ground and the remaining visible portion served as edging. Kitschy, but very creative. I tried it with plastic plates ( cut them in half, first ) but the mower kept grinding them up.
I use preen, works very well for me. Each fall I go in and clean my gardens of any weeds get in, Then I put the preen down, I go a little heavier than they say to. This will help with any falling seeds from the fall from sprouting in the spring. Then I do it again in the spring. I have a lot less weeds growing in my garden. I also do the deep edging to separate my gardens from the lawn and just once or twice in the spring and summer I take my spade and re-cut the edge. This is the best method for me, but weeds and grass will always find a way to creep in your gardens.
Mulching is always the best way to control weeds.





You can also try placing a layer of newspapers under your layer of mulch. The newspapers will provide a barrier to weeds and will decompose as the worms eat them.





If you are having problems with a running grass like bermuda, perhaps a plastic garden edging buried about 3 inches would help keep it out.
Get yourself a half moon garden edger and cut the edges. Then use some kind of edging. There is bendable edging in the garden section or the nursery. If you have straight edged you can use wood. It does help, is not foolproof, I just try to go down the edges once in a while and remove little travelers. Another help is to use a mulch that has corn gluten after you have weeded. This will discourage germination of weed seeds for about 3 months.
Well, the best way may not be the easiest. I would try to lay fabric if at all possible through out the whole bed. If not, then edge the perimeter of the bed and fabric that. This way you can control the the creeping, but the new growth in the bed will have to be pulled.
Water your garden and the grass. Let the water soak in over night. Pull the grass out by hand the next day. The soaking will make it easy to pull out.





To keep that grass out of your beds use the following which can be bought at stores such as WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, and etc:





Pound-In Edging, click this link for pictures:





http://www.gardeners.com/Pound-In%20Edgi鈥?/a>
You can uproot them by hand if you dont have the gardening equipments, that isn't hard. Or use a barrier. They are many ways you can control/stop the grass from getting into your perrenials actually.
I have used PREEN, it may work, try it, it can't hurt.





Ferndale_Michigan_Gardening@yahoogroup鈥?br>

Lenise
Put in garden edging.

No comments:

Post a Comment