Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How can I control my breathing while boxing?

I've been boxing for about two months now and I really want to be able to breathe properly. In the begining I was totally holding my breath (not purposely it just happened) when I was sparring and on the bags. Now I try to consciously breath thru my nose when I back away and out my mouth when I punch. I just can't seem to get the rhythm. Any tips?How can I control my breathing while boxing?
You might find helpful fast walks or joggling to get your breathing sorted. Worked wonders for me.How can I control my breathing while boxing?
My friend - I have trained fighters.


The only way you can control your breathing is to do your roadwork.


Make sure your butt is out there running at least three times a week.


Ask your trainer.
mouth wide open
Im sure you heard this before as i have from my trainers...be relaxed in the ring, when you are bouncing around the ring, get youre breath, and then when you attack, let out short controlled breaths while strikiing...thats why you hear boxers make little ';huh-huh-huh'; sounds while delivering a 3 punch combo...a little breath out for each punch.
get fitter and then breathing reamins much more normal and rythmatic during exercise
pratice im afraid, took me a long time to get it down to a t
By the time I got around to traditional boxing I had done four years of Karate, then Muay Thai boxing. One major difference with these martial arts is that you Kiai when delivering a blow. A kiai is a forced exhalation of the breath combined with a loud ';huh'; or similar from deep inside the diaphragm. It's dual purpose is in intimidating your opponent but more importantly in stabilising the core muscles around the abdomen area so that if counter-struck you are ready to absorb the blow.





To cut a long story short this continual and routine practised breathing; timed to coincide with the delivery of your movements could be a beneficial thing for you to practise. Maybe try Muay Thai once a week to complement your exisiting training.





Hope that helps!
Ask your trainer.
It takes practice.
As a martial artist for the last 36 years I hope that the following is of some help.


You are breathing out when hitting which is correct, but you should not breath through your mouth. Learn to make short controlled bursts through your nose, a bit like sniffing only backwards. Timing these bursts of air with your punches means that one breath in can mean lots of little breaths out, and therefore lots of punches per breath.


Always wear your gumshield when out jogging and when skipping.


Get fit and learn to relax while fighting because tension eats at your oxygen levels.


Best of luck dude
You could send it to school and have it trained.
relax your shoulders and use less power and add more speed. It's hard to breath when you become too intense.
Ask your coach for suggestions
Try getting some Alexander technique lessons - that helps with your breathing I have heard

No comments:

Post a Comment