Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I control my cat while clipping his nails?

I know ';how'; to clip his nails, but he gets so mad and crazy that he scrathces me and tries to bite me.He really hates it and I can't get it done. How can I sedate or calm him down?How do I control my cat while clipping his nails?
Most cats have a fit when you try to clip their nails. You can try to restrain them or protect yourself by wearing leather gloves and heavy clothing, but it really doesn't adress the root problem.





You need to get your cat used to the idea of your clipping the nails. You can start by holding and touching his paws when you aren't clipping them. When you have him in your lap and are being affectionate, try to touch his paws and hold them. Squeeze them like you do when you are about to clip them. Progress very slowly to get him used to your handling his paws in this way.





Eventually, once he is comfortable with your touching and squeezing his paws, get out the clippers and keep them near you when he is on your lap. Continue to condition him to be near the clippers with you holding his paws. Progress to holding the clippers in your hand, moving them near his paws, and eventually, touching him with the clippers. Do all of this without clipping his nails.





Once he is used to the objects and the touching, you can try to clip his nails. He'll probably object at first and try to run away, but you'll have developed a trusting relationship with him, and you should have a bit more control of the situation.





If none of this works, put him in a pillowcase and wear a leather jacket and heavy gloves. *JK* Good luck!How do I control my cat while clipping his nails?
Wrap the kitty gently in a towel and clip each foot one at a time. Usually this will calm the kitty down and also keep you from getting bit or scratched.
wait until he is peacefully enjoying a nap


try to be as careful as you can not to disturb him





good luck
try doing it when he is sleeping(sleepy)or calm.If that doesn't work get a professional to do it or you can get him declawed.....
There are several ways to do this. No matter which way you choose it will require two people. One to hold kitty the other to trim the nails. The easiest for an owner is to wrap you cat up in a towel like a kitty burrito. Then pull out on leg at a time and clip the nails. Another way to do this is hold your cat like your vet and the assistant do. This can be hard for some owners because they feel bad doing this. Basically you want to use one had to scruff you cat and the other to hold his back legs then stretch him out on the table while the other person clips his nails. Of course sometimes it's just easier to pay a groomer to do this. (the groomer will be cheaper than going to the vet in most cases) I read an answer earlier than mine that said don't clip the nails. Don't listen to this person. If your cats nails grow into the pad of his paws your are going to have one angry cat on your hands and an expensive vet bill.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I cut our two cats' nails while they're sleeping or relaxing when I'm making a fuss of them. I usually just press on the large pad in the middle of their paw and their claws extend enough for me to clip them.





Does he usually mind you touching his paws? Perhaps if he's used to you touching them he will be more relaxed when you need to handle them in order to clip his nails. Gradually build up his tolerance of having his paws touched and then you can try again. If he lets you do it, give him a reward so that he learns to associate it with something enjoyable.
You don't. I wrap my kitty in a towel so he can't see what I'm doing. He still fights, only with the towel and not me
stop clipping his nails.
The only thing that I can suggest is that you have someone that is familiar with cats and their weird moods hold the cat while you clip. I have three cats and have my daughter or husband hold them firmly while I clip. I don't have a problem with them wanting to bite or scratch me, but they aren't real happy when I'm clipping.
wrap him/her in a towel or blanket and make sure the front legs are in . taking one leg out at a time. easier if you have an extra pair of hands
What tunsa said is right. A big problem is you really have to start this when they are young.





Also, any Vet should do this for you for free. Hopefully your cats don't mind car rides and/or the carrying case.
Sit on him. Don't do them all at once.
I wrap my cats in a towel when I do this.
your not supposed to cut cats nails. if you let your cat outside then he will ware down his nails. my cat chooses to stay out about from the morning until tea time and her nails are great. good luck
i agree with wrapping him in a towel or two even. if he is getting worked up that bad though just do one foot, wait a couple hours then do the other. finish the last two the next day. that way you dont stress him out too bad, and when you are done give him a special treat.
My cat isn't that crazy when I clip her claws, but she still fidgets. I recommend petting your cat before you clip his claws to calm him down or pick a time when he is already calm and try it that way. Maybe have someone hold him while you clip them.
  • hair cut styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment